School History

 

ArchivesSchool RecordsBlank   

 


2Mont Albert State School was officially opened on 23rd April 1917.

The school became Mont Albert Central School in 1918, taking in Forms 1&2.

The school remained a Central School until 1964, when the secondary years formed the basis of a new High School, the Box Hill North High School, later to be named Koonung Secondary College.

Mont Albert was the first School in Victoria to have the interior purely constructed of Victoria hardwood, from floor to ceiling. The Honour Board was erected in 1919.

The original building, constructed of solid red brick, consisted of seven rooms. In May 1924 four rooms, in the same type of construction were added.
When the school opened in 1917 there were 147 students in Prep to Grade 6. Later that year, a further 72 children were admitted, making a total enrolment in the first year of 219.

The land facing Kenmare Street was purchased in 1919, adding another 2 acres to the 5.5 acres which the school occupied in 1917.

The first Principal was Charles Hyland, who was assisted by three other teachers. Charles Hyland left in April 1919 and was briefly relieved by W.Judd.

Alfred Harley became the School Principal in January 1920, remaining until July 1936.

The first official meeting of the School Council in May 1917 discussed the need for asphalting of playing areas, providing a letter box and electric lights for the lobby, double room, office and sewing room.

Professor Manning Clark, Australia's foremost historian, was a student at the School from 1926.

The Art/Craft room was built in 1968 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the School.
In 1991 the Performing Arts Centre was officially opened. A Computer Centre opened in 1997.

During 2001 and 2002 a major building upgrade was completed. The original building was reconfigured internally and totally refurbished. A wonderful Hall and Canteen were constructed along with a new library and six modern classrooms to accommodate the present population of approximately 590 students.

In 2010, the Federal Government's Building Education Revolution (BER) program commenced at Mont Albert Primary School and in 2011 students will move into 6 new classrooms and two flexible learning areas. The parent community has been extremely active and generous raising funds to ensure the comfort of all students by donating financially towards the airconditioning of the entire space, which the Government did not provide.  

Headmasters (Principals) of Mont Albert School

  • Mr. Charles Hyland, 1917 - 1919
  • Mr. Alfred Harley, 1920 - 1936
  • Mr. Theodore Cory, 1936 - 1940
  • Mr. Albert Bryant, 1940 - 1945
  • Mr. John Doggett, 1946 - 1950
  • Mr. Carl Petterson, 1950 - 1952
  • Mr. Edgar Hall, 1953 - 1958
  • Mr. James Manfield, 1958 - 1960
  • Mr. A Lewis Godfrey, 1960 - 1968
  • Mr. Philip Dwyer, 1969 - 1970
  • Mr. Robert Osmond, 1971 - 1972
  • Mr. Ian Sheppard, 1973 - 1974
  • Mr. Norman Gibson, 1975 - 1977
  • Mr. William Hunt, 1978 - 1980
  • Mr. John West 1981
  • Mr. Ronald Baker, 1982 - 1985
  • Mr. Robert Giddings, 1986 - 1987
  • Mr. John Gow, 1988 - 2009
  • Mrs. Sharon Saitlik 2009 -